M1 Monash Freeway
History behind the freeway
|History on the South Eastern Route|
Early planning for a route to Dandenong and beyond relied on the upgrading of Dandenong Road east of Oakleigh. It wasn’t until the Metropolitan Transport Committee’s Metropolitan Transport Study and associated plan was presented in 1969 that the Dandenong Road proposals were abandoned. A new route - F14 - was provided along the path of today’s freeway. A reservation already existed at this time thanks to the CRB’s pre-urban planning procedures which had secured land prior to its release as an urban development area. The reservation made use of an early State Electricity Commission transmission line reservation.
A prelude to the Mulgrave Freeway was the idea of ring road around Dandenong, which was in an advanced stage of planning by 1963. The ring road route included that of the future Mulgrave Freeway and the CRB began purchasing land for the reservation in 1964. The immediate motivation was to bypass Dandenong, which was considered to be a point of major congestion on the Princes Highway.
In 1969, the
same year that the freeway appeared in a formal plan, work began on the
first stage - between Stud Road and the Princes Hwy (at Doveton). This work
was done under the Town Bypass legislation - which gave the CRB the power to
construct controlled access roads - and this section of freeway was first
known as the Mulgrave Bypass (Stud Rd to Laurel Ave) and the Eumemmering
(Laurel Ave to Princes Hwy). However, later in 1969 the Country Roads Act
was amended to officially allow the CRB to construct freeways, meaning they
could drop the ‘bypass’ pretence from the project and the Mulgrave Freeway
name was born. The first stage of the freeway was opened on 21 November 1972
(Stud Road to South Gippsland Freeway) and was subsequently extended west in
the ensuing years. The following stages of freeway went west to Springvale
Road (December 1973), Blackburn Road (15 December 1976), Forster Rd (5 April
1977), Huntingdale Rd (12 December 1979) and finally to Warrigal Road on 24
June 1981. The Mulgrave Freeway was given the F81 route marker in 1973 and
kept it until 1988 when the Mulgrave and South Eastern Freeways were united
under the name of ‘South Eastern Arterial’ and National Route 1.
As one looks back at history it seems so obvious that the Mulgrave and South Eastern Freeways would one day be connected. Despite attempts from the Government to hide their intentions - giving the S.E. and Mulgrave Freeway different route markers was rather ingenious - they recognised that one day the public opposition to a road along Gardiners Creek would be outweighed by the need for traffic congestion relief. Even the Commonwealth Government recognised this, in the Commonwealth Bureau of Roads’ 1974 report Freeway Plans of State Capital Cities it is noted that “there are discontinuities at the western ends of freeways….F14 at Chadstone…where these end about 10 miles east of the central city. This requires further consideration.”
The two freeways were joined by an arterial road, with at-grade intersections between Toorak Rd and Warrigal Rd, in December 1988. With that also came the unification of both name and number - the freeway was now known as ‘South East Arterial’ and carried the National Route 1 shield. All that was left to complete the 1969 plan was the removal of the at-grade intersections, and the Road Construction Authority - probably the Government too - knew it was only a matter of time before traffic congestion turned the public opposition into support. The first and most significant overpass - twin three lane bridges over Warrigal Rd at Chadstone - was opened in June 1994. The project was rounded off with the opening of overpasses at Tooronga Rd (January 1996), Burke Rd (March 1996) and Toorak Rd (May 1996). These overpasses finally provided one continuous freeway route from Melbourne to Dandenong and beyond. Thus the Arterial was renamed South Eastern Freeway.
In 1997, the South Eastern Arterial (the name at the time) for it's entire distance was rebadged as route M1 as part of the Statewide Route Numbering System, replacing the old National Route 1 designation.
On March 20 of the same year, the whole freeway was renamed the South Eastern Freeway, coincided with the completion grade separation of four former at-grade intersections, as mentioned before.
Dr Max Lay, in his book Melbourne Miles: the Story of Melbourne’s Roads, notes that the final solution was the same as what the road planners had originally advocated. He then poses the question: “Was this merely because their persistence had outlasted the community’s?”
It should be noted that, as with most of Melbourne’s freeways, west of Huntingdale Road the reservation was created and protected, not by transport planners, but by the foresight of John Monash and his State Electricity Commission engineers when they established the metropolitan electricity transmission system in the early part of the 20th century. Thus it was fitting that the South Eastern Freeway’s name be changed once again to “Monash Freeway” on 16 June 1999 to honour the great surveyor and engineer who had helped pioneer the technology of reinforced concrete. Monash University vice-chancellor Peter Darvall says it is fitting that the university’s namesake be honoured in that way. “The freeway runs past the Anderson Street (Morell) Bridge, the first reinforced concrete bridge in Victoria, and past Scotch College, the school of which he was dux in 1881. The route proceeds through the City of Monash and past Monash University. Finally it leads to Gippsland where Sir John, as chairman of the State Electricity Commission, developed the Latrobe Valley coal fields into a source of power for Victoria." As part of the renaming process, North Road and Wellington Road (between Nepean Highway and Stud Road) was stripped of its Monash Highway name.
It was also around this time that the Monash Freeway west of Toorak Road was incorporated into the City Link project - private consortium Transurban upgrading the freeway to have 5 and 6 lanes in return for tolling rights. This section of freeway is no longer known as Monash Freeway and will no longer be referred to as such in this article.
In April 2000 construction was commenced on the easterly extension of the freeway, 7.5km from the South Gippsland Freeway to the Princes Freeway at Narre Warren. The $165 million (2003) four-lane freeway was originally planned to be completed in December 2004 but a dry winter in 2002 and some rescheduling of contracts meant that the freeway was completed in July 2003 - 17 months earlier and $10 million (2003) cheaper than expected. This now means that the Monash Freeway stretches from Toorak Rd at Toorak to the Princes Fwy at Narre Warren, a distance of 33.8 km.
 Metropolitan and Melbourne Board of Works; Melbourne Metropolitan Planning Scheme 1954; 1953; p. 100
 Dingle, T. and Rasmussen, C.; Vital Connections, Melbourne and its Board of Works 1891-1991; 1991; p. 148
 Lay, M.; Melbourne Miles, The Story of Melbourne’s Roads; 2003; p. 211
 Lay, M.; Melbourne Miles, The Story of Melbourne’s Roads; 2003; p. 213
 The Eumemmering Bypass is today’s South Gippsland Freeway and until July 2003 provided an important link between the Mulgrave (Monash) Freeway and the Princes Hwy at Doveton.
 Commonwealth Bureau of Roads; Freeway Plans of State Capital Cities; 1974; p. 10
 Lay, M.; Melbourne Miles: the Story of Melbourne’s Roads; 2003; p. 212
 Brown, D.; Naming honour for Monash in Monash News (Online) http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/monmag/issue4-99/item-18.html; Accessed 8/6/2005
© Main Roads Victoria Webmaster & Sam Laybutt . Last Update: 23/08/2006